This blog post is all about Jabez prayer points!
Hello, friend; I’m happy to present this post on Jabez prayer points.❤️
I’ve been working on this post for the past two weeks, so I’m super excited to share this with you!
Upon my research, I’ve discovered the Jabez prayer is a powerful tool for Christians to use when seeking God’s blessings, guidance, and protection.
If you want to operationalize this prayer into your life, this blog post is dedicated to you!
The Jabez prayer should be used daily as an intentional act of worship: We ask God to work in our lives, and in return, we bring honor and glory to His name.
In this in-depth blog post, you’ll learn a total of 41+ points:
- All about Jabez
- Breakdown of the Jabez prayer
- Powerful Biblical affirmations and declarations
- Lessons from the life of Jabez etc.
Ready? Let’s go!
Who was Jabez?
Here are five facts about Jabez:
1. Jabez was an obscure Bible character…
Jabez’s story is found in the book of Chronicles. Yes- Chronicles. A book that many find to be “boring” because it is a chronological history or genealogy of the Kings.
Let’s be honest…many people (me included LOL) are typically tempted to skip or skim through the book because of the sheer nature and writing style….it is truly content and data-heavy!
That’s not all; there is very little written about Jabez. At face value, people can dismiss this character as seemingly insignificant. This is entirely the opposite of people like Daniel, Joseph, etc.
2. Jabez was a man with an unpleasant name!
According to Hitchcock’s Bible Names Dictionary, Jabez’s name means “pain,” “sorrow” or “affliction.”
Can you imagine being given a name that spells misfortune like this one?
Jabez was the son of an unknown mother and father.
It appears from the get-go he had an unfortunate start in his life.
3. Jabez is behind the infamous Jabez prayer!
So as I mentioned earlier, Jabez was a man mentioned in the Bible’s Old Testament book of 1 Chronicles, noted for his prayer to God that resulted in God granting him blessings.
As you will learn soon, Jabez isn’t an insignificant man. Instead, he was a man of extraordinary faith!
4. He was from the tribe of Judah and became prominent!
I find it fascinating that Jabez was from the tribe of Judah (the same tribe where the Messiah came from).
It is later documented in Historical Jewish writings that he became a prominent person. This possibly shows the lasting effects of the prayer of Jabez!
It also shows the grace and mercies of God- for we know other people like Ruth and Rahab, who were from pagan societies, were also grafted into the line that brought Jesus!
5. He was more honorable than his brothers!
I find it amazing that Jabez stood out (despite his name and beginning) to become more honorable than his brothers!
1 Chronicles 4:9-10, “Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez,[a] saying, “I gave birth to him in pain. “
P.S. I see parallels between Jabez and Joseph. These two rose and became more favored than their own brothers. However, Joseph is well known, and Jabez is the least documented. Still, Jabez’s dramatic and bold prayer is significant to modern Christianity.
The story behind Jabez’s prayer
The story behind Jabez’s prayer is significant because it shows that life can be full of pain and hardship, but all things are possible with faith in the Lord.
At the time, Jabez lived in the era of judges, signified by a lot of anarchy. The NIV Bible analysis explains, “The book of Judges is characterized by the people of Israel doing as they saw fit – that is, they did what was right in their own eyes. When people do what is right in their own eyes, they tend not to do what is right in God’s eyes. Left to themselves, people do what is evil in the sight of the Lord.”
P.S. Please think of Gideon, who was also born during the Judges era. Think of all the hardships they endured. At this point, Israel had also embraced idolatry shown by Gideon’s dad’s Asherah pole, etc.
So this is important! We can deduce that he was born into a difficult life surrounded by poverty and hardships; his own people were suffering from famine and war. It is plausible that the suffering drove him to pray for a better life, and God granted his prayer, blessing him with more land, prosperity, and protection.
This prayer also highlights his faith; he was born at a time when people did whatever pleased them, BUT he chose to turn to God!
The meaning of the Jabez prayer
Jabez’s prayer reflects the power of faith and how it can help us overcome any challenge we encounter. His prayer is an example of how our relationship with God should be: one of complete trust that He will grant us all that we ask for if we earnestly seek Him out in prayer.
With this understanding, Jabez’s prayer reminds Christians worldwide that no matter what hardships we face in life, there is always hope when we turn to the Lord for strength and guidance.
His short yet powerful plea has resonated with many believers throughout the centuries since its first mention in 1 Chronicles.
The prayer itself is a simple entreaty to God, asking for His blessings and protection in any situation that Jabez may face. By turning to the Lord with an attitude of faithfulness, even in the midst of difficulty, he demonstrates how powerful prayer can be when we turn to God with humility and trust.
Jabez humbly asked for protection from harm and adversity and expressed his willingness and desire to serve the Lord faithfully—a reminder that true blessings come when we focus on God above all else.
Therefore, as believers, we should remember this example of faith and seek God’s blessings through prayer and obedience.
Is Jabez Prayer Selfish?
Many people believe that Jabez’s prayer is selfish, especially when Jabez states, “Please bless me.”
However, this is further from the truth. I believe the Jabez prayer is bold but intended to align us with God’s will.
Thus, we seek to receive everything- the fullness of what God has planned for us. We aren’t asking for anything more or anything less- we are seeking that abundant promise from God!
Therefore, I don’t think this prayer is selfish, but it can be used selfishly if one is praying for their own will and not God’s.
Breakdown of Jabez prayer & Jabez prayer points (four parts)
This prayer was short and direct. It shows the power of aligning faith, boldness, and God’s will.
Here is the complete prayer:
1 Chronicles 4:10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.
Here are the four parts of this particular prayer:
1. Blessings- “Oh, that you would bless me.”
In this first section of the Jabez prayer, we are asking God to bestow us with blessings and favor over our life.
Yes- God wants to bless us. He wants to increase us! So why shouldn’t we ask?
John 16:24, Jesus stated, “Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete”
⚠️The caveat is that we are focused on what God wants to do in our lives. He is the creator and knows what we best need. These blessings are in alignment with His word and promise over us.
Blessings here aren’t limited to physical blessings but can also be spiritual or psychological in nature.
One of my favorite verses is 1 Peter 2:9, which states that we are God’s chosen- his own possession and that we are to proclaim his excellencies!
So what does this mean? Well, when we ask for blessings- we need to realize that, first and foremost, we are God’s possession, and as we excel, we are doing so to the glory of God!
We can back up this request with Biblical affirmations such as:
- “I thank You Lord for blessing me abundantly with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 1:3).
- “The Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless” (Psalm 84:11).
- With faith, I will stand on the promises of Your Word knowing that no weapon formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17).
- “Your promises are yes and amen; Thank you Lord for working in my life and blessing me to fulfill Your will (2 Corinthians 1:20)”.
- As I call upon You Lord, may Your lovingkindness and tender mercies come unto me that I shall find favor in your sight (Psalm 90:17).
- But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 1 Peter 2:9
- “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4).
2. Enlargement- “enlarge my territory.”
The second line of this prayer is a request for God to enlarge our territory.
I believe this also represents elevation and influence. This is very important because we can have more influence and territories to expand for the glory of God.
When we ask for enlargement, we aren’t just asking God for the mundane…we are asking for exceedingly!
I believe the enlargement of territory should align with your God-given purpose. So it’s important to understand our giftings, anointing, purpose, etc. This is super important! Don’t ask for enlargement of territory where you have no business being. This can lead to frustration!
Understand that enlargement is also done with the help of the Holy Spirit. You cannot do it with your own strength. Spirit over flesh always. Remember that!
- Put your trust in God for enlargement and not your flesh!
- Enlargement isn’t only physical-it can be spiritual, mental, etc.
- Once God provides you with opportunities… remember it is to glorify His name!
- Be open to the possibilities and take advantage of every God-opportunity that presents itself.
We can back up this request with Biblical affirmations such as:
- Thou hast enlarged my steps under me; so that my feet did not slip. (2 Samuel 22:37)
- From my distress I called upon the Lord; The Lord answered me and set me in a large place. (Psalm 118:5)
- “Enlarge the place of your tent; Stretch out the curtains of your dwellings, spare not; Lengthen your cords And strengthen your pegs. (Isaiah 54:2)
- Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)
3. That your hand will be upon me!
The third line of this prayer is a plea for God’s hand to be with us.
Imagine God granting you abundant blessings, influence, and opportunities…Perhaps you were asking for an increase in your business, and you went from 100 orders to 10,000 orders.🤯
What do you do? Friends, you truly need God’s hand and guidance to navigate this increase. Imposter syndrome can creep in…and many more things!
Sometimes when people are blessed, the next step is to bolt and run away from God. They forget that He truly gave us that increase.
- When we pray for the Lord’s hand to be upon us, we are not relying on our own strength but choosing to depend on God.
- It is super important to ask for Godly wisdom and understanding (discernment) as we seek direction in all areas of our life.
- Ask God to guide you along the paths He has chosen for you!
- Ask for help to make wise decisions according to His will.
We can back up this request with Biblical affirmations such as:
- And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord. (Acts 11:21)
- “Your hand is with me at all times; Your grace is sufficient for me (Psalm 138:7).
- “Your right-hand holds me up, and I will not be moved (Psalm 63:8).”
- “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” (Psalm 119:105).
- “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want” (Psalm 23:1).
- “Be strong and courageous; do not be discouraged; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9).
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
4. Keep me free from harm!
The fourth line of this prayer is a request for God to keep us from harm so that we will be free from pain.
This is essentially peace and protection.
Once are have achieved the blessing, you may face the following:
- Spiritual warfare since the enemy has a target on your back!
- Greater emotional or psychological demands.
Therefore, we need to ask God to keep us safe!
How many people have achieved every material possession but have no peace? Friends, we need the hand of God once our Jabez prayer is answered!
We can back up this request with Biblical affirmations such as:
- The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:7-8
- “I thank You Lord for giving me the victory through Christ Jesus and for establishing me in righteousness (2 Corinthians 2:14).
- My help comes from You, Lord; may you rescue me from all trouble and distress (Psalm 54:4).
- May Your peace guard my heart that I may not be afraid of anything that comes against me (Philippians 4:7).”
- “No weapon formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17)” or
- “I am hidden under the shadow of your wings and I am safe in You (Psalm 91:4).”
- “You are my strong tower; by faith, I will stand in the fullness of your power and authority over all that comes against me according to Your Word (Proverbs 18:10).
- And the peace of God, surpassing all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7)
12 lessons from Jabez prayer in the Bible
Praying the Jabez prayer requires understanding who Jabez was and what the prayer means.
Once you have done that, here are lessons & tips to help you pray this powerful prayer:
- Pray with faith: Hebrews 11:6 says, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” As you come before God in prayer, remember that He is faithful and will respond when we call upon Him. Believe His promises as you pray the Jabez Prayer.
- Pray with gratefulness: Before asking for any blessings from God, express your gratefulness for all the blessings He has already bestowed upon you. Acknowledge that all good things come from Him and thank Him for His abundant love and mercy.
- Pray with humility: Realize that anything of lasting value can be created only through God’s power, grace, and mercy. Ask with a humble heart, recognizing your dependence on Him as the source of all blessings.
- Pray in Jesus’ name: As you pray the Jabez prayer, do so in the name of Jesus Christ, who offered Himself up on our behalf to reconcile us to God (John 3:16).
- Pray with a listening ear: As you pray the Jabez prayer, ask God to open your heart and mind to hear His response. Listen carefully for any directions or instructions He may give you as you seek His will in your life.
- Pray with perseverance: The Jabez prayer is not a one-time request but a daily petition. Persevere in praying this prayer every day, trusting that God will answer according to His perfect plan.
- Pray with confidence: Believe that God hears and answers your prayers (1 John 5:14–15) and have faith that He will respond according to your best interests (Romans 8:28). Know that He is always with you, and have confidence in His love for you.
- Blessings and increase come with great responsibility: When God blesses you, remember your God-given purpose. Use your enlargement to help others, not just yourself. We should do the same by using our blessings for God’s kingdom and not be selfish or wasteful with what we have been given.
- Call upon God for His help in times of need: Jabez humbly asked for God’s help in his situation, admitting that he needed assistance from a higher power than himself. Modern-day Christians can learn from this example and call on the Lord when they are in distress or trouble, as He is always ready to listen and provide strength.
- Believe in yourself and your purpose: Jabez had faith in himself and his purpose, believing that he could achieve great things if God blessed him. We should also believe in ourselves and have faith that God has a plan for us, no matter our circumstances.
- Trust in God’s timing: As we pray, remember that the prayer will be answered according to God’s will and in His time.
- Pray for protection from evil: Jabez asked God to keep him safe from harm and danger. We should do the same and pray for His protection, as He will always guide us away from evil and lead us on a path of righteousness.
20 Biblical declarations based on or inspired by Jabez prayer points
Now that you’ve read the blog post, I want to present the following declarations that relate beautifully to this prayer! They can also be used as Jabez prayer points.
Read and declare each verse as you pray!
1. I declare that I will have an enlarged life filled with spiritual and physical abundance (1 Chronicles 4:10).
2. I declare supernatural favor to lead me in everything I do (Psalms 5:12).
3. I declare God’s hand of protection over my life at all times (Deuteronomy 28:7).
4. I declare deeper revelations of the Lord and knowledge of His ways as I stay focused on Him (Proverbs 2:6).
5. I declare a continual stream of divine health and wellness in my body (Exodus 15:26).
6. I declare financial provision and multiplication from unexpected sources that shall bring forth great joy and peace (Genesis 22:17).
7. I declare the Lord’s strength to be my source of courage, guiding me through every challenge (2 Corinthians 12:9).
8. I declare a mindset of faith that will move mountains in all areas of my life (Matthew 17:20).
9. I declare no weapon formed against me shall prosper and that God is my defense and protector (Isaiah 54:17).
10. I declare supernatural understanding to recognize opportunities as they come, using them for good works (Proverbs 8:12).
11. I declare clarity of purpose for the plans God has for me, which are plans for prosperity and success (Jeremiah 29:11).
12. I declare the favor of God that goes before me, allowing my path to be filled with light and hope (Psalms 30:5).
13. I declare a continual flow of creativity and wisdom from God, giving me divine inspiration as needed (James 1:5).
14. I declare doors will open to receive blessings in abundance (Psalms 118:19-20).
15. I declare no corruption or destruction seeking to find its way into my life (2 Thessalonians 3:3).
16. I declare anointing on all of the works of my hands, providing provision through every endeavor (Deuteronomy 15:10).
17. I declare no lack in all areas of my life, as God is the source of my supply (Philippians 4:19).
18. I declare a powerful testimony that will bring glory to God and His kingdom (2 Corinthians 1:20).
19. I declare confidence in all decisions made, knowing that for each door closed, another one will open (Isaiah 43:18-19).
20. Lastly, I declare that victory is mine through Jesus Christ, who strengthens me (Romans 8:37).
As we turn to the Lord for comfort and protection, we can be assured that He will hear us and answer us according to His perfect plan for us. By meditating on these biblical affirmations and declarations, we can continue to experience the fullness of God’s grace in our lives. Amen.
Prayers based and inspired by the Jabez prayer
Almighty and all-knowing God,
You have blessed me with so much already, and I am humbly grateful for Your grace in my life.
Lord Jabez asked that You would bless, so today, I ask the same of You.
Please expand my territory beyond anything I can imagine or hope for, help me to increase the impact of my work for Your glory, and bring success not just to myself but to others around me as well.
Help me to walk away from sin and stay on the path of righteousness according to Your will. Lead me towards a life in alignment with Your Word that is pleasing in Your sight and draws others closer to You too.
In Jesus’ MIGHTY name, Amen!
I come before You with a heart full of joy and thanks for the many blessings I already have. May my life be a beacon of hope and light to those around us so that they may find solace in Your presence.
Like Jabez, I ask that You would bless me as only You can do, beyond what I deserve and more than I could ever imagine or hope for.
Please give me the wisdom to make wise choices, discernment when it comes to decisions, strength in times of weakness, and courage when I’m fearful.
Lord, grant me favor amongst my peers so that the work I do brings goodness out of every situation. Help me to stay humble even in moments of abundance so that all honor is given back to You.
In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.
And that’s it, folks, Jabez prayer points
I hope you enjoyed this post! I wrote it with love and care. ❤️
As I’ve reiterated throughout, the Jabez Prayer is based on his prayer to God, asking for Him to bless him and enlarge his territory so that he could do great things for God’s glory.
Jabez’s story is an inspiring reminder that no matter what life may bring when we turn to the Lord with humility and trust, He will always provide us with the strength to overcome any obstacle.
When reciting this prayer today, believers should remember that it is not just a plea for material blessings but also a call to remain obedient and faithful to the Lord at all times.
Prayer has the power to move mountains, and Jabez’s humble plea reminds us all just how powerful prayer can be when it comes from a place of true faith.
With faith in God, anything is possible.