This post is all about how to develop a consistent prayer life
Do you want to know how to develop a consistent prayer life? If so, you’re in the right place.
I know this topic can be super intimidating for some, so I made it very simple and easy to follow through.
In this blog post, I will discuss what having a “consistent,” “weak,” or “non-existent” prayer life means.
Finally, I’ll review three bible characters and the twelve keys to consistent prayer life.
Ready? Let’s go…
What does weak prayer life mean?
A weak prayer life is a life where someone doesn’t often pray or with much passion. It’s a life where someone prays sporadically without much thought or care. A weak prayer life is one of the main reasons why people don’t see God move in their lives.
What does non-existent prayer life mean?
A non-existent prayer life is just that, a life where someone doesn’t pray at all. This could be for any number of reasons, but the result is the same – they don’t experience the power of God in their lives because they’re not connecting with Him through prayer.
5 reasons why someone’s prayer life can be weak or non-existent
- They don’t understand the importance of prayer.
- They don’t have a personal relationship with God.
- They haven’t been taught how to pray.
- They don’t believe that prayer makes a difference.
- They are not consistent in their praying.
What you need to know if you have a non-existent or weak prayer life
If you feel that you have a weak or non-existent prayer life and want to change, please read the following tips:
First, you need to understand the importance of prayer. Prayer is how we communicate with God. It’s how we build our relationship with him, and it’s how we receive his guidance in our lives.
Second, you need to have a personal relationship with God. This means more than just knowing about him. It means getting to know him intimately through his word and prayer.
Third, you need to be taught how to pray. This doesn’t mean you need to go to seminary or anything like that. But it does mean that you need to learn how to pray effectively. There are a lot of resources out there that can teach you how to do this.
Fourth, you need to believe that prayer makes a difference. If you don’t believe that your prayers are going to make any difference, then they probably won’t. But if you pray with faith, believing that God is going to do something in your life, then you are on the right track. This is a key part of having a strong prayer life.
Fifth, and finally, you need to be consistent in your praying. This doesn’t mean that you have to pray all the time. But it does mean that you need to make prayer a regular part of your life. Find a time each day where you can focus on praying and stick to it.
If you do these things, you’ll be well on your way to seeing God move in your life in amazing ways!
What is a consistent prayer life?
A consistent prayer life simply means having a regular habit of praying. This could look different for everyone, but the important thing is that you’re making time for prayer on a daily basis.
Reasons why you should have a consistent prayer life
Now that we know what it means let’s look at why it’s important. Below are five biblical reasons why having a consistent prayer life is vital:
- Prayer enables us to stay close to God. In James, we read, “draw near to God, and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8). If we want to experience the nearness of God, we must be diligent in prayer.
- Prayer is how we communicate with God. Just as we need to communicate with our spouse or friends, we need to communicate with God. Prayer is how we build our relationship with Him.
- Prayer helps us convey our requests to God. Matthew 21:22 says that we will receive whatever we ask for in prayer, and in Philippians 4:6, we are told not to be anxious, but through prayer and petition, we should present our requests to God.
- Prayer is revelatory. In Jeremiah 33:3, God says when we call to him, he answers and will tell us “great and unsearchable things you do not know.” This is important, especially in spiritual warfare or when you need wisdom to tackle an issue in your life.
- Prayer is how we resist temptation as well as the devil. In Galatians 5:16, we are told to walk in the Spirit so as not to fulfill the desires of the flesh. In addition to that, we are told to resist the devil, and he will flee from us. Prayer is an important way to resist the devil because we align ourselves to God and if we yield to the Holy Spirit, we can also overcome temptation.
- Prayer is how we receive God’s power. In Acts 8:15-17, we see that the early church was praying, the Holy Spirit fell on them, and they were filled with power. As we pray, we too can receive God’s power in our lives.
- Prayer is how we fight spiritual battles. In Ephesians 6, we are told to “stand firm in the Lord and His mighty power.” How do we stand firm? By praying! When we pray, we put on God’s armor and prepare for battle.
Bible characters who made prayer a lifestyle
Now let’s look at three bible characters and learn from their examples.
The first example is Daniel. In the book of Daniel, we see that he had a regular habit of praying three times a day (Daniel 6:10 ). Even when he was thrown into the lion’s den, he continued to pray (Daniel ). Because of his faithfulness in prayer, God protected him and delivered him from the lions.
Another example is Jesus. In Luke 22:44, we see that Jesus often went to a quiet place to pray. Even in the midst of His busy ministry, He made time for prayer. We can learn from His example and make time for prayer even when we are busy.
The last example is Paul. In Acts 16:25, we see that Paul prayed often. He even prayed at night (Acts ). We can learn from his example and be diligent in our prayer life, even when we don’t feel like it.
12 super tips: how to develop a consistent prayer life
Let’s discuss twelve keys to having a consistent prayer life yourself.
1. Teachable Spirit
To grow in our prayer life, we need to be willing to learn and be taught by others. We can do this by reading books on prayer, listening to podcasts, and attending workshops or conferences.
2. Prayer group
The second key is to be a part of a prayer group (virtual or face to face). When we pray with others, we can encourage each other and build each other up. We can also learn from each other’s experiences.
3. Prayer accountability partners
These are people who we commit to praying with regularly. They can help us to stay accountable and consistent in our prayer life.
To review the benefits of accountability partners, review my post titled, “5 Key Benefits of Christian Accountability Partners“
4. Pray using bible scriptures
This is a powerful way to pray because we are praying the Word of God back to Him. His word is full of power and life; as we pray it back to Him, we can see results in our lives.
Note: Praying the Psalms is an excellent beginner-friendly way to pray the scriptures.
When we fast, we are setting aside something pleasurable for a period of time in order to focus on prayer. This is a powerful way to grow in our prayer life.
For more information on fasting, please read this blog post I wrote.
6. Pray without ceasing
This means that we should always pray, whether at home, at work, or out and about. We can do this by setting reminders on our phones or keeping a prayer journal.
7. Pray in the Spirit
This means we should pray according to what the Holy Spirit is leading us to pray for. We can do this by listening to His voice and following His promptings.
This means that we should never give up, even when it feels like our prayers are not being answered. We need to trust that God is working, even when we can’t see it.
9. Be consistent
One way to keep a consistent prayer life is to keep a prayer journal. This is simply a notebook where you can write down your prayers. It can be as simple or detailed as you want it to be. You can use it to record your answered prayers and to look back on when you need encouragement.
10. Set reminders
Another way to be consistent in prayer is to set reminders on your phone. You can do this by setting the alarm.
11. Prayer closet
If you want a place to pray without distractions, you can create a prayer closet. It can be a physical place, or it can simply be a state of mind. This is simply a place where you can go to be alone with God and pray without distractions.
12. Prayer apps
Many different prayer apps are available, so find one that works for you. These apps can help you stay organized and focused in your prayer life. They also provide reminder alarms, daily devotionals, and scriptures to help you in your prayer life.
On my 12th point, I mentioned prayer apps. So let’s review this in detail:
Christian prayer apps offer a unique and flexible way to pray. There are many different Christian prayer apps available, each with its own unique features.
Here are three:
PrayerMate is a popular Christian prayer app that helps users organize their prayers. Users can create different prayer lists, and they can also set reminders for when to pray. PrayerMate is an excellent Christian prayer app for those who want to be more organized in their praying.
Pray! is a Christian prayer app that helps users find local prayer groups. This is a great Christian prayer app for those who want to connect with other Christians in their area. Pray! also allows users to create and share their own prayers.
Echo is a Christian prayer app that allows you to pray for others and track your prayers. It also has a community feature where you can join or create groups to pray with others. You can also set reminders for when to pray and see how many people have prayed for you. Echo is available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
My prayer life…
Before I end, I would like to say that I like joining prayer conference calls. I join daily for intercession, supplication, etc., because I find it much more engaging than prayer apps. Why? Because I have a community behind me. I also have prayer accountability partners as well. I think this is a bonus and helps me continue to foster a lifestyle of prayer.
And that’s it, folks, how to develop a consistent prayer life
Prayer is fantastic, and it is worth it to develop a consistent prayer life! I hope this blog post has been helpful, and I encourage you to put these keys into practice.
Let’s review five takeaways as I close:
- A consistent prayer life is important because it helps us stay connected with God.
- There are many different ways to develop a consistent prayer life
- Find a method that works for you and start using it today!
- Prayer is a conversation with God, so don’t be afraid to talk to Him about anything and everything! He loves to hear from His children.
- Finally, don’t give up! Consistent prayer can be difficult at first, but it is so worth it. Persevere in prayer, and you will see God work in your life in amazing ways.
I wish you the very best in your prayer journey!