Spiritual or Faith-Based SMART Spiritual goals are a must! Ok, maybe not a must- lol. But I would say, “highly recommended!”
Remember: Goals are only as good as our commitment to achieving them!
So what is a SMART goal? It’s actually an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely.
A SMART Spiritual Goal Example: Let’s assume that the Lord has impressed on your heart to study the Bible more.
Let’s focus on how we can make this vague goal more SMART!
Here is a sample breakdown that I created for you!
Goal: My Spiritual Goal is to Read the Bible Consistently!
✅Specific: I will read the Bible for 30 minutes every morning. (Go granular and even pick out a specific Bible book, chapter, etc.)
✅Measurable: Track how much of the Bible I’m reading daily OR set the alarm to ensure I make it to the 30-minute mark.
✅Achievable: 30 minutes in the morning is an achievable goal that fits into my schedule. I get way too tired at night.😢
✅Realistic: Reading a portion of the Bible each day is realistic and doable i.e., a chapter of Proverbs each day.
✅Timely: Commit to 30 minutes of Bible reading every morning for the next 4 weeks.
By following this plan, I can make sure that I take time each day to read God’s Word and draw closer to Him.
As a SUPER reminder: take time each day to pray and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance as you strive to live out God’s will in your life. He is faithful and always ready to help us on our faith journey.
Spiritual or Faith-Based SMART goals are super important!
Why? While actively working as a Clinician (Clinical Behavioral Therapist), goal setting was central to my work. I would routinely help clients set goals for themselves in physical health, mental health, personal relationships, and career success.
Here’s what I know to be sooo true about setting faith-based SMART goals:
- To gain any momentum in life, you need to start setting meaningful goals.
- Goals provide a sense of direction and purpose, which can be hugely motivating.
- Reaching those goals isn’t always easy, but it can bring an immense feeling of accomplishment when done.
- Achieving your goals translates into success and personal growth. This feeling of pride and satisfaction is truly rewarding.💃🏾
- Working towards your goals can also help build character, resilience, and strength.
- Setting a goal is only the beginning; you need to be dedicated and consistent with your actions to achieve them.
- Make sure you take the time to reflect on how far you have come – that sense of achievement will drive you to keep pushing until you reach your end goal.
- Celebrating your successes, no matter how big or small, is essential in order to keep going and maintain focus on the bigger picture.
P.S. Read this post to find out 27 specific goals to help you with ideas!