This post is all about Giving it to God!
Hey Friends, I’m excited to be writing this blog post on Giving it to God. Why? Because I always love to write about real stuff that I’ve personally struggled with and that God is teaching me. ❤️I think it’s always a blessing to write from this angle since there is depth and also relatability.
So, let’s begin…
When we are faced with difficult situations, it can be tough to let go and surrender to God. We may feel like we want to be in control and need to take matters into our own hands. However, when we let go and surrender to God, we find the most peace and happiness.
This guide will discuss what it means to let go and surrender to God and some of the benefits of doing so.
What does it mean to surrender?
Giving it to God and surrender are used synonymously. Why? When we give something to God, we surrender it to Him. This can be anything from our time, finances, talents, or possessions. We give up control and allow God to take over when we let go. We trust that He will lead us and guide us in the right direction.
For many people, the word “surrender” can be frightening. It can feel like we’re giving up our power and our voice. But what if surrendering to God is actually one of the most powerful things we can do?
Note: “Surrender” comes from the Latin word for “to hand over.” When we surrender to God, we’re essentially handing over control of our lives to Him. It’s an act of trust and faith.
Why do people struggle to surrender to God?
For many, it can be challenging to let go and surrender to God. They may feel like they are giving up control or that they are not good enough. Others may struggle with the idea of a higher power.
From my personal experience, I have found it difficult to surrender at times because I’m afraid of the unknown. I, at times, want to control the narrative as I navigate through a situation.
However, surrendering to God is one of the most important things you can do in your life. It is a way of giving yourself over to Him completely. You can rely on Him to guide and protect you when you do this.
Here is my stance when I find myself struggling to surrender:
God is exactly who I/we should surrender to. Why? God is omnipotent, which means He is all-powerful. He is omniscient, which means He knows everything. And He is omnipresent, which means He is everywhere at all times. These qualities of God make Him the best and most qualified being to surrender to!
Surrendering to God doesn’t mean being passive or inactive!
I want to address what surrendering to God isn’t!
Ready? Here goes…
Surrendering to God doesn’t mean that you stop trying or that you give up on your dreams. 🤯It doesn’t mean that you become passive and do nothing.
Surrendering to God means that you trust Him to lead the way and to guide you. So yes, there is an element of you putting in your own work. However, you are willing to go wherever He wants to take you, even if it’s uncomfortable or unknown.
Bible characters who surrendered and gave it to God
-Abraham: Abraham is perhaps best known for his act of faith in surrendering his son, Isaac, back to God (Genesis 22:16-18).
-Esther: Esther surrendered her life to God when she risked everything to save her people from annihilation. She led the nation of Israel to fast and pray to the Lord (Esther 4:16)
-Paul: Paul surrendered his life to God when he was dramatically converted on the road to Damascus (Acts 9)
-Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: This is a moving story of surrendering to God. These Hebrew men were thrown into the fiery furnace by King Nebuchadnezzar but they did not bow down or worship him. When they came out of the furnace, they did not even smell like smoke! (Daniel 3). The story of these three men is an excellent example of letting go and surrendering to God. When we let go and surrender to God, we are saying that we trust Him. We are saying that we believe He is in control and will take care of us.
-David: Is an excellent example of someone who continuously surrendered to God. When David faced difficult circumstances, he surrendered his life to God and trusted that He would take care of him. As a result, David was able to find peace and strength in God.
Giving it to God verses
Giving it to God, Letting Go, and Surrendering to God can be hard. We get attached to our outcomes and how we think things should go. But when we learn to let go and give it to God, we can find a peace that surpasses all understanding.
Here are some scriptures that can help you in your journey of Giving it To God, Letting Go, and Surrendering to God.
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Psalm 37:5-6 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Proverbs 23:26 My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways.
Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”
Matthew 16:25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
James 4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Giving it to God quotes
Surrendering to God is a continuous process that happens day by day. It’s not a single act that we do once and then forget about. We must constantly be giving Him control of our lives, letting go of our own plans and agendas, and trusting that He knows what’s best for us.A.W. Tozer
Taking up my “cross” means a life voluntarily surrendered to God.Arthur W. Pink
“It is wonderful what miracles God works in wills that are utterly surrendered to Him. He turns hard things into easy and bitter things into sweet. It is not that He puts easy things in the place of the hard, but He actually changes the hard thing into an easy one.”Hannah Whitall Smith
“When you cannot trace the hand of God, trust His heart.”Charles Spurgeon
“It is not that we give God control so that He can do something to us. It is rather that we give Him control so that we can do something through Him.”John Piper
God is ready to assume full responsibility for the life wholly yielded to Him.Andrew Murray
Worship songs about giving it all to God
There are so many worship songs about giving it all to God. These songs can be a great way to help us let go and surrender to Him.
Here are some of my favorites (I tried to link the original composers):
“Let Go and Let God” by Hezekiah Walker (my favorite, although this is more of a PRAISE song LOL)
“I Surrender All” by Judson W. Van DeVenter
“I Surrender” by Hillsong
“Give Me Jesus” by Fernando Ortega
“Take My Life and Let It Be” by Frances R. Havergal
“I Give You My Heart” by Hillsong United
“Re-surrender” by Brooke Ligertwood
9 Tips to Surrendering and Giving it To God
Here are nine tips on how to let go and surrender to God:
- Prayer is a powerful tool that can help you release your burdens to God. When you pray, talk to God about your struggles and ask for His help. Let Him know that you’re willing to surrender control and give the situation over to Him. Bottom line- Don’t be afraid to ask for help from God.
- Spend time reading the Bible and other spiritual books. These texts can provide comfort, guidance, and hope when feeling lost or discouraged.
- Attend church and other religious services. Participating in worship and prayer can help you feel closer to God and supported by the larger community of believers.
- Find a spiritual mentor or counselor who can support you on your journey to surrendering to God. This person can offer guidance, advice, and practical tips on letting go and giving your life over to Him.
- Make time each day for quiet time, meditating on God’s word and contemplation. Sitting in silence, focusing on your breath, and praying are great ways to connect with God.
- Create a list of things that bring you peace and happiness. Include activities like spending time outdoors, listening to music, being around loved ones, etc. When feeling overwhelmed or stressed out, try to do at least one thing from your list. A gratitude journal can be an excellent tool for this if you want.
- Avoid watching negative news or listening to discouraging podcasts or radio programs. These sources can often make you feel worse and add more stress to your life. It can cause one to find it harder to surrender.
- Take care of yourself both physically and emotionally. Ensure you’re getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, journaling, and exercising regularly. Seek out counseling or therapy if you need additional emotional support.
- Be patient with yourself as you journey towards surrendering to God. It takes time and practice to let go and give our lives over to Him fully. Trust that He will guide you every step of the way.
These are just some tips on letting go and surrendering to God. If you’re struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Many people can support you on your journey, including friends, family members, pastors, counselors, and other religious leaders. You can overcome anything life throws your way with God’s guidance and support.
Four Benefits of surrendering to God
From all the stories and tips provided, you probably can already deduce the following benefits of surrendering to God:
–Freeing/Liberating: When we surrender to God, we acknowledge that He is in control and that we are not. This can be a difficult thing to do, but it is also very freeing.
–Shows Trust in God: By surrendering to God, we choose to trust Him. This doesn’t mean that things will always go the way we want them to, but it does mean that we can trust that God knows what He is doing and that He will never leave us or forsake us.
-Blessings that come with obedience: When we surrender to God, we choose to obey Him. This may not always be easy, but it is always worth it. Obedience to God brings blessing into our lives, even when it doesn’t seem like it at the time.
– Dependence on God: Finally, surrendering to God shows our dependence on Him. We were never meant to go through this life alone, and when we surrender to God, we admit that we need Him. This is a good thing! When we depend on God, He always comes through for us. He is faithful and trustworthy, no matter what.
And that’s it, folks, 9 tips on Giving it to God
As I close, I would like to give a few takeaways.
Giving it to God means to let go of our own will and give ourselves over completely to the divine will. This can be difficult, but when we surrender, we find peace and serenity that comes with knowing that we are in alignment with the highest good.
- Giving it to God is the ultimate form of surrender. It’s not always easy, but it’s definitely worth it.
- Letting go and surrendering to God can be scary, but it’s also incredibly liberating.
- When you give yourself completely over to God, He will take care of you and guide you on your journey.
- Don’t be afraid to let go and surrender to God. He will never let you down.
See you in the next post!